Some Hot Summer Marketing Ideas!
by Josh Amidon
I hate summer. It’s the sweating, the smell of sunscreen, the way I look in short sleeve dress shirts, the “I’m better than you” look outdoor runners have as I drive past them in my air conditioned car and the fact that bees are plotting ways to make my life a living hell – basically, I hate almost everything about this season.
The one thing I don't hate about Summer is you get to show off your creative side with your marketing promotions. That's because Summer's sales can be unpredictable for a company or retail store that doesn’t sell anything specific for the season.
Here are a few ideas you can take and make your own!
1. Lower prices as the temperature rises. How about a promo where customers receive $10 off any purchase of $100 or more when the temperature is above 100 degrees.
2. Even adults love chalk. If you have a storefront, consider writing a promotional message, such as “$5 meals every Wednesday,” in chalk on the walkway in front of your building. Or use chalk to depict a colorful summer scene.
3. Give away seasonal items. Offer a free beach towel, T-shirt, or a bottle of sunscreen (oh God, the smell!) to customers as a reward for making a purchase. Bonus points if you’re able to brand them.
4. Give discounts for spreading the love. Give summer shoppers 10 percent off if they take a picture of their purchase or themselves while in the shop and post it on social media - while being sure to tag your store.
5. Go where the people are. Take advantage of places that attract summer crowds, such as local festivals, outdoor shopping areas, and nearby beaches or recreational areas. Bring flyers to pass out.
So I hear tomorrow is going to be pretty hot, I think the high will reach “getting branded by your seatbelt.” Anyway, I’m curious to hear your summer promo ideas. Email me at Josh@amidonmarketing.com or call me at 315-427-9213.